" Hi, Bette. Could we have coffee sometime?"

As an adult, I met Bette after her Vegas show and had an overwhelming feeling of wanting to sit and talk to her over coffee about life, love, and traversing this world, about this adventure called adulthood. Bette has done it, triumphed over this life; she has made it through the ups and downs, the self-questioning of both her gregarious self and the quiet one, and now seems to be in a place where she gets to be accepted as herself, all of her possible selves. I need to talk to her about that journey. This blog is the beginning of my coffee chat, a space for me to talk to Bette and to possibly gain some insight. So, "Hi, Bette. These are my questions and ideas, things I'd like to discuss with you someday."

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

What does it mean to "do good"?

I am embarking on another trip, this time to Liberia. I have taken many trips and seen a lot of the world (although the more I travel, the more I realize there is to see and experience!). This trip is a bit different. I am heading out with a group of women to work in Monrovia, Liberia at 6 schools. These schools are remit with conditions that make learning even more than difficult. Things like teachers who arent paid and attend only so often, children who struggle to clothe themselves (let's not even start with have books), and administration that has ethical issues (one of the talks we are having with them concerns sex and grades). Now, I am not trying to say that there are not wonderful things happening there. There are. Peace has come after years of bloodshed and a woman has been elected president in a democratic election. I am sure the people are slowly mending and goodness will prevail. It almost always does. For me though, I head there to spread my knowledge about teaching and children, learning and caring as an educator. That is good, right? I was hired to do just that and have worked on curriculums to help them understand each other, teaching goals, learning, and other fundamental psychosocial avenues for education to occur and all the while am trying not to colonize their culture unto the American one, to make my teaching and their learning also their teaching and my learning. And hence, I wonder, when one gives from their heart and believes in the gift, but KNOWS there is to be a return, one bigger and perhaps more profound, is it giving, or is it giving with knowledge there will be receiving. Do I give to them only because I know I am about to receive more from them? Can one give purely to give? I just dont know.

No comments:

Post a Comment