" Hi, Bette. Could we have coffee sometime?"

As an adult, I met Bette after her Vegas show and had an overwhelming feeling of wanting to sit and talk to her over coffee about life, love, and traversing this world, about this adventure called adulthood. Bette has done it, triumphed over this life; she has made it through the ups and downs, the self-questioning of both her gregarious self and the quiet one, and now seems to be in a place where she gets to be accepted as herself, all of her possible selves. I need to talk to her about that journey. This blog is the beginning of my coffee chat, a space for me to talk to Bette and to possibly gain some insight. So, "Hi, Bette. These are my questions and ideas, things I'd like to discuss with you someday."

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Death


How does one deal with the loss of someone so important, so life-changing, such a joy that you can barely remember your life before them? When those we love die, the sun comes up and the world spins onward. Nothing really changed, other than you. Forced to go on, we breathe and eat, and remember, even when we don't even want to. It is not in homage that we go on, it is not because we want to, it's because we feel overwhelmed with the other options. But, its not okay, its not fine to me. Everyday I am reminded, everyday I feel the broken pieces and the guilt associated with death. What do you do to overcome the grief, to forgive yourself for not doing enough, not being there, not, not, not?

No comments:

Post a Comment